Four crew members and one shoreside official got abbreviated sentences of up to 34 months in plea bargains. Reuters said none are likely to be incarcerated. Citing unnamed sources, the wire service said the sentences of less than two years were suspended while the longer ones may be appealed or satisfied by community service.
Roberto Ferrarini, director of marine operations and Costa's designated person ashore, got the lengthiest sentence, followed by hotel director Manrico Giampedroni.
Others who pleaded guilty in exchange for reduced sentences were first officer Ciro Ambrosio, second officer Silvia Coronica and helmsman Jacob Rusli Bin. Associated Press said the bridge officers and helmsman were convicted of causing a shipwreck in addition to the other charges of manslaughter and negligence.
Capt. Francesco Schettino remains on trial in Grosseto, Italy.
Thirty-two people died after Costa Concordia grounded and capsized near the island of Giglio on Jan. 13, 2012.
Wreck removal activities at the site continue 24/7, according to the salvagers. Last week Costa and Titan-Micoperi representatives were completing the technical documentation for authorities to review in advance of plans to bring the ship upright in September.
The salvagers said once this parbuckling is completed, it will be possible to more accurately determine the timing for refloating and towing the wreck to a remote location for disassembly.
About 474 workers and 25 vessels are at the site.