Individuals, organisations and companies from across the Middle East, Africa and the Indian subcontinent maritime and shipping industry were honoured at the annual Seatrade Maritime Awards in Dubai last night (Monday 27 October), a part of Dubai Maritime Week.
Hosted by international journalist and broadcaster Mishal Husain and now in its eleventh year, the Seatrade awards is widely recognised as the region's premier maritime awards programme.
The presentation ceremony, which took place at Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai, in front of more than 850 guests, was a celebration to recognise excellence in all areas of maritime activity right across the Middle East and beyond.
The awards programme has been reformatted for 2014 with new award categories, a new judging panel and a revamped format, with Seatrade Maritime Awards winners chosen by an independent panel of judges based on a predetermined set of transparent criteria.
“This evening's awards ceremony has attracted hundreds of key industry professionals covering the entire spectrum of the maritime and shipping industry in the Middle East, Africa and India. It certainly echoes the confident and optimistic mood of this vital industry sector,” remarked Chris Hayman, Chairman, Seatrade.
The Seatrade Personality of the Year award for 2014, was presented to Admiral Mohab Mohammed Hussein Mameesh, Chairman and Managing Director of the Suez Canal Authority.
“After a distinguished naval career, Admiral Mameesh took up his present position in 2012 and has since overseen the raising of $9 billion from Egyptian investors to fund a second channel parallel to the existing one that will be 72 kilometres in length. Together with deepening of the existing channel, this will reduce the time needed to transit the Suez Canal, from nearly 20 hours to 11 hours, allowing the number of daily transits to rise from less than 50 today to nearly 100,” added Hayman.
Photo caption (click to download): Seatrade Maritime Awards 2014 winners
Please find below the full list of winners:
• Contribution to the Development of the Regional Maritime Cluster - Emirates Classification Society, TASNEEF and YoungShip Dubai
• The Corporate Social Responsibility Award - Krishnapatnum Port Company Limited
• The Safety & Quality Award - Kuwait Oil Company
• The Education & Training Award - Maritime Training and Research Foundation, India
• The Technical Innovation Award - Caterpillar Propulsion
• The Environmental Responsibility Award - DP World UAE Region
• Offshore Marine Development – Africa - Topaz Energy and Marine and CS Offshore
• The Offshore Marine Technology & Construction Award - Drydocks World – Dubai
• The Finance for Shipping Award - Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank
• The Ship Repair Innovation Award - Drydocks World – Dubai
• The Maritime Service Provider Award - Sharaf Shipping Agency
• The Port and Terminal Development Award - DP World UAE Region
• Deal of the Year - DNV GL
• Shipping Company of the Year - United Arab Shipping Company (S.A.G)
• The Maritime Law Award - Holman Fenwick Willan Middle East LLP
• Seatrade Young Person of the Year - Ali G Maghami, Vice Chairman, Simatech Shipping LLC
• Seatrade Outstanding Achievement Award - Sufyan Al Zamil, President, Zamil Offshore
• Seatrade International Award - Philippe Donche-Gay, Chairman of IACS and Executive Vice-President of Bureau Veritas Marine & Offshore Division
• Seatrade Personality of the Year - Admiral Mohab Mohamed Hussein Mameesh, Chairman & Managing Director, Suez Canal Authority
• Seatrade Lifetime Achievement Award - Abdul Kader Al Bakri, Founder and Chairman, A.K. Al Bakri & Sons Holding
• Personal Contribution to the Maritime Cluster - H.E. Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, Chairman of DP World
• Maritime Personality of the Year – Africa - H.E. Ahmed Tusa Dalo, CEO, Ethiopian Shipping and Logistics
About UBM Live
The Seatrade brand is now part of UBM Live that connects people and creates opportunities for companies across five continents to develop new business, meet customers, launch new products, promote their brands and expand their markets. Through premier brands such as Seatrade, Routes, CPhI, IFSEC, Ecobuild, and many others, UBM Live exhibitions, conferences, awards programs, publications, websites and training and certification programs are an integral part of the marketing plans of companies across seven industry sectors.
For further information: Emma Howell, Head of Marketing, Middle East, Seatrade. Tel: +441206 545121; Email: [email protected]
For media enquiries, please contact:
Shamal Marketing Communications
Dubai Media City, UAE
Mobile: +971 50 457 6525
Email: [email protected]