Reuters on Thursday reported the salvage will begin in mid-May, citing an Italian civil protection authority who expects contracts to be signed this month.
Reuters said two consortia are shortlisted: one with the Netherlands’ SMIT Salvage and Tito Neri of Italy, and the other, Titan Salvage of the US and Micoperi of Greece. The news service attributed the information to unnamed sources close to the operation.
In early February Costa Crociere invited bids from 10 leading salvagers from around the world. A month later the company said six proposals had been received after three companies decided not to bid and two joined forces.
Costa chairman and ceo Pier Luigi Foschi in early April told Seatrade Insider a decision on the salvage plan was expected this month.