Seatrade Cruise News is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Ruby Princess.jpg
Around 2,700 passengers disembarked Ruby Princess Thursday not knowing there had been cases of coronavirus on board

Ruby Princess returned to Sydney with coronavirus cases on board

NSW Health is tracking down passengers who disembarked Ruby Princess in Sydney on Thursday after it was discovered that two passengers and a crew member had tested positive for COVID-19.

Cruise cut short

Ruby Princess left Sydney March 8 on a 13-night round cruise to New Zealand which was cut short when the federal government announced travel restrictions. She was scheduled to leave Sydney Saturday on a 14-night round cruise to Fiji.

Concern for passengers

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said a very big concern is that passengers came off the ship, not knowing people on board had COVID-19.

Hazzard said officials are now working to contact the nearly 2,700 people who disembarked Thursday.

A statement from Princess Cruises said the passengers with coronavirus had reported flu-like symptoms during the cruise and had been in isolation.

The company said it had made guest contact details available to NSW Health to allow for a quick follow-up.

Call to self-isolate

‘We strongly support NSW Health’s call for all guests who disembarked Ruby Princess to follow to the letter the requirement for 14 days self-isolation and to seek medical advice should they experience flu-like symptoms,’ the statement said.

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish