Seatrade Cruise News is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

After 15-month gap Royal Caribbean resumes Caribbean cruises, from Nassau

PHOTO: IC MARKETING/NASSAU CRUISE PORT CRUISE_Adventure_of_the_Seas_Nassau.jpg
Adventure of the Seas began a summer of sailings from Nassau to Freeport, Perfect Day at CocoCay and Cozumel
Royal Caribbean International embarked on its first Caribbean cruise in more than 15 months as Adventure of the Seas sailed Saturday from Nassau, Bahamas.

Adventure is carrying fully vaccinated crew and passengers 16 and older, who make up 94% of then more than 1,000 passengers while the remaining 6% are younger than 16.

CocoCay, Freeport and Cozumel

So begins a summer of weeklong cruises to Perfect Day at CocoCay, Freeport on Grand Bahama Island and Cozumel, Mexico. Adventure of the Seas is the first cruise ship ever to homeport at Nassau, where construction of the $285m Nassau Cruise Port is underway so check-in is taking place at a hotel.

Royal's Caribbean return is possible 'thanks to the government of the Bahamas, the support of our partners and the hard work of our teams across Royal Caribbean,' Royal Caribbean President and CEO Michael Bayley said. 'This is just the beginning,' he added, 'as we get ready to set sail from the US for the first time on July 2.'

Eleven Royal Caribbean ships are set to cruise from the US and Europe, beginning in July and August. Plus, Spectrum of the Seas is expected to start Hong Kong cruises in late July, and Singapore service continues on Quantum of the Seas. 

Testing for Bahamas cruises

On Bahamas sailings, the age for COVID-19 vaccination drops to 12 and older Aug. 1. Vacationers younger than 12 must undergo testing and follow other protocols.

To comply with Bahamas regulations, travelers 2 and older need to take a PCR test no more than five days before arriving in the country and have to show a printed copy of their negative result upon arriving at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau, where cruise check-in takes place. Costs associated with this test are the traveler's responsibility.

Unvaccinated travelers 2 and older will get a nasal swab test during the hotel check-in process. This is complimentary.

Unvaccinated travelers 12 and older, or their guardian, will also need to complete the Bahamas Daily Health Survey required by the Bahamian government each day while in the Bahamas, including days on board. The survey can be accessed through the Royal App, even if the traveler has not purchased shipboard Wi-Fi.

All travelers (vaccinated and unvaccinated) older than 2 will get a complimentary nasal swab test prior to disembarking in order to meet requirements for international flights to the US and Canada.

Masks

Vaccinated travelers do not need to mask up on the ship or at Perfect Day at CocoCay. While visiting public ports, everyone will need to follow local mask requirements.

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish