Seatrade Cruise News is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Nov. 4 update: Brazil cruising restarts with MSC, NCLH extends 100% vaccine mandate, Coral Princess cancels Down Under including world cruise

PHOTO: VINICIUS STRASOLIA CRUISE_MSC Preziosa_Santos_Photo_Vinicius_Stasolla.jpg
MSC Preziosa in Santos, where cruising restarts Nov. 5
Here's a quick read of some of today’s coronavirus-recovery cruise news. This will be updated throughout the day.

Brazil cruises resume

MSC Preziosa arrived at Santos ahead of tomorrow's restart of cruises from Brazil. A special event was held on board with the mayor of Santos and other senior officials from the city council, port authority and tourism organization.

MSC Preziosa will operate several mini-cruises in Brazilian waters from Santos and Rio de Janeiro and will be joined next month when MSC Seaside and MSC Splendida start operating from Santos.

The three ships — with MSC Seaside making its South America debut — will call at 11 Brazilian ports throughout a season that stretches to April. 

They'll operate under protocols announced last week by national health surveillance agency ANVISA. These include proof of vaccination for those eligible for vaccination in Brazil, a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before embarking or a negative antigen test taken within 24 hours, a 75% capacity limit and daily testing of at least 10% of passengers and 10% of crew.

MSC Preziosa becomes the 12th MSC Cruises ship to resume passenger operations since the global cruise shutdown.

CRUISE_Coral_Princess.jpg

Among the Coral Princess cancellations is a world cruise originating in New Zealand

Coral Princess cancellations from Australia, including world cruise 

Princess Cruises cancelled three Coral Princess sailings from Australia, including a 107-night world cruise that was to have originated in New Zealand.

The cancelled cruises are the 28-night round Australia voyage departing Sydney on March 16, 2022, and Brisbane on March 18;  the 35-night Hawaii, Tahiti and South Pacific cruise departing Sydney on April 13, and the 107-night round world cruise to 43 destinations in 17 countries due to depart Auckland on May 14,  Sydney on May 18 and Brisbane on May 22.

Princess said the cancellations are due to the ongoing uncertainty of travel restrictions to the regions on these multi-destination itineraries.

CRUISE_NCL_headquarters.jpg

NCLH extends 100% vaccination mandate 'for the foreseeable future'

Making good on what President and CEO Frank Del Rio said during Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings' earnings call yesterday, the company extended its 100% vaccination mandate 'for the foreseeable future.' 

This applies to Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. 

'Guests who are not old enough to be vaccinated per the US Food and Drug Administration, World Health Organization and European Medicines Agency are not permitted to sail,' NCLH said in its statement. 'However, given the recent health updates regarding the expansion of the age criteria to receive the vaccination, we look forward to welcoming these younger guests back on board soon.'

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish