Seatrade Cruise News is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Victim of crewman's brutal assault is suing Holland America

Victim of crewman's brutal assault is suing Holland America

A US passenger who was beaten and raped by a crewman in 2014 has filed suit against Holland America Line. Her complaint alleges the company failed to provide adequate security that could have prevented the attack or at least shortened its duration, according to SeattlePI.com.

Ketut Pujayasa, a room service attendant from Indonesia, is serving a 30-year sentence in US federal prison after pleading guilty to attempted murder and aggravated sexual assault.

He used a pass key to enter the woman's stateroom after fuming all day following a perceived insult to his family. When he had brought her breakfast, she reportedly responded to his knocks on the door by saying: 'Wait a minute, son of a bitch.'

The victim, 31 at the time, was choked, beaten, raped and nearly thrown overboard while Nieuw Amsterdam was sailing off the coast of Honduras. She was airlifted to a hospital in South Florida.

The SeattlePI.com story shows gruesome photos of the bruised and bloodied woman provided by her attorney, Jack Hickey, who claimed an overflowing toilet on board took priority over calls from passengers who reported hearing cries for help.

The paper said attorneys for HAL are seeking the suit's dismissal on the grounds they couldn't have known the crewman posed a threat.

Immediately following the attack the cruise line said Pujayasa had been hired in 2012 after a 'careful screening that included a clean criminal history check. He had no performance issues and came with good references.'

Asked to respond to allegations in the lawsuit, HAL on Friday provided a statement to Seatrade Cruise News.

'We are terribly saddened that this event occurred,' the cruise line said. 'Our thoughts, prayers and support remain with the victim and we are committed to a fair and collaborative resolution of this tragic event. It is right that justice prevailed and the perpetrator was sentenced accordingly.

'To our knowledge,' HAL added, 'no incident like this has occurred before in our company’s 142-year history. It is our highest priority to ensure the safety and security of our guests.'

The suit was filed in US District Court in Seattle.

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish