Seatrade Cruise News is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Lemoneight curates cruise training for Qatar tour guides

The Lemoneight workshops focused on the cruise sector, complementing Qatar's existing tour guide training programs
Lemoneight developed an in-person interactive training experience, 'My Perfect Day,' for tour guides serving Qatar’s expanding cruise sector.

Designed to complement existing training programs, the workshops play an important role in meeting the unique needs of cruise tourism, according to Claudine Pohl, founder & CEO of Lemoneight.

Aiming to provide exceptional experiences

'Qatar is committed to becoming an epic cruise destination, and we are dedicated to providing exceptional experiences for cruise guests,' said Craig Upshall, global head of cruise for Qatar Tourism. 'Our recent partnership with Lemoneight for specialized cruise training for tour guides is a testament to our commitment. We believe that equipping our guides with in-depth knowledge will significantly enhance the cruise guest experience, making Qatar an even more attractive destination.'

Upshall expects Qatar's cruise industry to flourish in the coming years. With the country's strategic investments in infrastructure, tourism and training, he considers the destination well-positioned to welcome 96 cruise calls from 15 brands this season, numbers that will increase in future.

The goal is to position Doha as the port of choice in the Gulf region, aligning with a broader goal of promoting Qatar as a world-class tourist destination.

Highly inclusive approach

Because only 11% of the population is Qatari and the remaining 89% have cultural backgrounds from outside the country, training must both be highly inclusive and address inclusivity with colleagues and cruise guests from around the globe, Pohl explained.

During the workshops, participants took part in interactive activities and role play, often placing themselves in the shoes of a guest arriving for the first time. A major focus of the training was storytelling to create an immersive experience, and overcoming linguistic and cultural barriers to bring the destination to life.

Pohl said Lemoneight looks forward to returning to Doha in 2024 to deliver expanded training which will dive deeper into storytelling for tour guides.