Seatrade Cruise News is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Palamós and Roses anticipate over 50K passengers this season

Viking Saturn called at Palamós for the first time on April 1
The Ports of Palamós and Roses in Spain expect 61 cruise calls and around 53,000 passengers this season.

These figures represent a 1.3% increase in the number of passengers and a 15% rise in stopovers compared to the 2023 cruise season.


Palamós expects the arrival of around 51,500 passengers and 52 cruise calls this year – 6% more calls and 1% fewer passengers compared to last year. The season, lasting eight months, began on April 1 with the maiden call of Viking Saturn, and is expected to end on November 24 with a call from Seabourn Sojourn. 

57% of the vessels will arrive in low season and the remaining 43% in high season. 

Also calling at Palamós for the first time will be Silversea’s Silver Ray, Saga’s Spirit of Discovery and Viking Cruises’ Viking Sea.


Overall, six cruise ships will call at the ports of Palamós and Roses for the first time in 2024. 

50% of the cruise ships arriving at these two ports belong to cruise lines based in North America while the remaining half are from Europe. 

Roses’ cruise season gets underway on May 1.

Viking Saturn

The arrival of Viking Saturn into Palamós on April 1 kicked off the season for Costa Brava. It was the first time the vessel had called at Palamós, prompting a traditional plaque exchange ceremony on board the ship. It was attended by a delegation, encompassing: representatives of Costa Brava Cruise Ports led by the director general of Ports de la Generalitat, Annabel Moreno i Nogué; mayor of Palamós, Lluís Puig i Martorell; mayor of Roses, Josep Maria Martínez Chinchilla; president of the Girona Chamber of Commerce, Jaume Fàbrega Vilà; deputy of the Girona Provincial Council representing the Costa Brava Girona Tourist Board, Maria Puig i Ferrer; Palamós tourism councillor, Antoni Bachiller Puig. 

The vessel was carrying 900 mainly American passengers, followed by Canadians and Australians, on a one-week cruise from Rome, Italy taking in: Florence, Italy; Nice, France; Marseille, France; Palamós; Barcelona, Spain.  

In addition to seeing Palamós, passengers had the chance to explore the medieval towns of Pals and Peratallada, Figueres, Empúries and Tossa de Mar, as well as taking DO Empordà wine routes. 

MedCruise's 60th General Assembly took place in Costa Brava, with Costa Brava Cruise Ports a member of the association.

TAGS: Spain